Project Title: Creating Inclusive and Decent Jobs for Socially Vulnerable Groups
Title: Project Manager
Duration: 1 year service contract with possibility for extension
Duty Station: Baku, Azerbaijan. Domestic travel will be required.
UNDP has initiated a new partnership with the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Population (MLSPP) in the area of inclusive employment. The project will support the design and implementation of the pilot measure for promoting self-employment of persons with disabilities, it will be implemented in all regions of the country, and will aim to build up the institutional basis and staff capacity for effective implementation of a future nation-wide programme of active labour market measures.
More specifically project aims to enhance capacities for the unemployed job-seekers from the vulnerable sections of the population and create opportunities for their productive employment within the formal labour market. This objective shall be achieved by applying a two-pronged approach: i) strengthening the capacity of policymakers and practitioners to design and implement effective Active Labour Market Measures (ALMM)s, including through the introduction and use of innovative mechanisms for evidence-based monitoring and impact assessment of ALMMs and ii) streamlining procedures and building institutional capacities for effective targeting, outreach and support to end-beneficiaries from the vulnerable groups in their efforts to become employed.
To effectively implement the programme, UNDP is searching for a Project Manager, who under direct supervision of the UNDP programme Analyst and day-to-day communication with MLSPP, designated to coordinate ALMMs will be responsible to effectively manage and implement the Project “Creating Inclusive and Decent Jobs for Socially Vulnerable Groups”.
The Project Manager will lead and supervise 8-member project team and short term international and local experts/advisors. In his/her day-to-day operations, the Project Manager is expected to work and maintain close collaboration with the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Population, Employment Agency and other relevant labour market institutions, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors.
The incumbent’s duties are outlined below and will be fulfilled in line with prevailing UNDP rules and procedures as well as with due respect given to the UNDP internal control framework.
Summary of core duties and responsibilities shall include the following:
- Effectively manage a project team to ensure timely and quality delivery of project outputs;
- Maintain collaborative working relations and partnership with the national counterparts i.e. Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Population, State Employment Service and other relevant labour market institutions as well as international organizations, donors and other partners through effective communication, consultation and reporting;
- Ensure provision of high-quality analysis of the quality and impact of the active labor market measures, including through establishing a robust monitoring systems;
- Forge synergies with other employment and social inclusion initiatives to maximize the project impact;
Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage a project team to ensure timely and quality delivery of project outputs
- Supervise and coach the project staff and short-term external consultants to ensure timely achievement of project results and undertake credible performance assessment
- Develop detailed project work plans for implementation of project activities, ensuring active engagement of all relevant stakeholders
- Mobilize goods and services to implement project activities, including drafting TORs and work specifications
- Prepare regular progress and annual reports of the project (progress against planned activities, financial expenditures etc.) in agreed format with the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Population
- Ensure timely submission of progress reports and background documentation to the Steering Committee members
- Manage and monitor the delivery of the financial resources
- Ensure appropriate filing and availability of required documentation for the audit purposes
- Perform tasks in ATLAS Management Information System
- Prepare background documents and ensure timely organization of Steering Committee meetings
- Maintain collaborative working relations and partnership among key project partners and donors, through effective communication, consultation and reporting
- Maintain close working relations with the key national partners (Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Population, State Employment Service and other relevant institutions), including through preparation of timely and high-quality project progress reports in format agreed by the national counterparts
- Prepare thematic reports that analyze specific issues emerging from the project implementation
- Ensure effective communication of the project results in close collaboration
- Maintain effective linkages with the international organizations, including by preparing project briefs presenting project results
- Establish effective linkages with other UNDP programmes and projects and with other initiatives in the sector with a view to developing substantive partnerships and generating synergies
- Ensure provision of high-quality policy advice to the Government and relevant national institutions and facilitate knowledge building and management through establishing a robust monitoring systems
- Support capacity development of national counterparts through transfer of generated knowledge i.e. procedures, manuals, guidelines and systems for implementation of ALMMs
- Take lead in creation and implementation of a system for systematic monitoring and impact assessment of ALMMs
- Ensure qualitative input in developing employment programme/projects
- Providing substantive input by feeding back data from implementation and field monitoring of project activities, needs of project beneficiaries, targeted communities and vulnerable groups that will inform the development and fine tuning of the Project strategy and pipeline development
- Organize and ensure analytical reporting and project evaluations and collect and captures lessons learned from the project implementation
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
The incumbent performance will be measured based on the following indicators of success:
- Timely and efficient delivery of project outputs;
- Steady and high delivery rate (90%) of project funds compared to annual project work plans and budget projections;
- Effective supervision of the project team;
- Timely and high-quality submission of project reports to national counterpart and UNDP;
- Efficient and proactive cooperation with national counterparts, other donor funded projects and new partnerships established with the UN agencies, EU etc.);
- Project activities executed in line with UNDP corporate policies and procedures;
- Integrity: Demonstrates commitment to UN’s values and ethical standards; promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Respect of Diversity: Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability; treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Team Work: Manages teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Relationship Building: Builds strong relationships with the national counterparts and relevant stakeholders
- Client Orientation: Focuses on impact and results for the project partners and project beneficiaries and responds positively to feedback
- Development and Operational Effectiveness: Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting; Ability to contribute to formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Management and Leadership: Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback; Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills; Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude; Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills; Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Knowledge Management and Learning: In-depth knowledge on development issues; Ability to advocate and provide policy advice; Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in areas of employment policies, private sector development, social inclusion etc; Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture among team members;
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- Senior professional, with ideally 7 or more years of relevant experience, preferably in developing and management of similar initiatives (minimum of 5 years);
- Management of project teams
- Knowledge of national employment and private sector development policies and comparative experiences and models from the region;
- Demonstrated experience in co-operating with labour market institutions, private sector, business associations and networks, academic institutions, finance and micro-finance institutions;
- Excellent communications, report writing and analytical skills;
- Capability for travelling, field work and work under pressure.
Language proficiency in both written and oral English and Azerbaijani language.
Please go to the below link to apply for this position: